Savory Cheese tarts made with multi-seed crisps
There are so many ways to enjoy our Multi-Seed Crisps, but we just love what @theyummyvegan came up with!
This recipe is surprisingly decadent tasting for how easy it is to make. Our Sea Salt & Sage Multi-Seed Crisps are the secret ingredient that make the perfect base for these oh-so-yummy Cheese Tarts. You can make one large Tart and choose between Caramelized Shallots & Thyme or Fresh Herb with Dill & Parsley. If you can’t decide between the two flavors, then make both in mini-Tarts!
This vegan recipe is great as a delicious snack or a tasty part of a charcuterie board. For a meal you can serve a slice or two with a salad. Serves 4-8.
1 package of Grateful Snacking Company Sea Salt & Sage Multi-Seed Crisps
1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp of ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp of Water)
1 Tbsp of Vegan Butter melted
14 oz (397g) Tofu Ricotta (see recipe below)
7oz (200g) Vegan Feta
1/4 cup (55g) Vegan Cream Cheese
3 Shallots sliced
1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
1 Tbsp Grape Seed Oil
1 tsp of Thyme chopped
1 Tbsp of Dill chopped
1 Tbsp of Parsley chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 14oz (397g) block of Firm Tofu drained and mashed
2 cloves of Garlic finely minced
1 Tbsp of Tahini
2 1/2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp of Nutritional Yeast
Salt & Pepper to taste
Equipment: I used (4) 4.5” fluted pans with removable bottoms. You can also use any 9” pan with a removable bottom.
For Keto: Any Vegan ingredients such as the Butter, Flax Egg and Cheeses can be substituted with dairy versions.
1.The day before, make the Tofu Ricotta by letting the Tofu drain and mashing it with a fork. Add in the Garlic, Nutritional Yeast, Tahini, Lemon Juice, Salt & Pepper and mix well. Refrigerate overnight. If making the same day, make sure to refrigerate for at least an hour for the flavors to blend.
2. Caramelize the Shallots by sautéing them in 1 Tbsp of Butter and 1 Tbsp of Oil on low heat until they have turned brown (not burnt) This can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Be patient it’s worth it! Set aside until ready to mix in (you can also make these the day before)
3. Make the crust by adding the crisps (or seeds) to a food processor. Pulse until it becomes sandy in texture. Add in the melted Butter and Flax Egg and pulse again until the mixture is holds together like wet sand.
4. Form the Crust by pressing the Seed mixture into the bottom of your tart pan(s) making sure to spread it out evenly.
5. Bake the Tart crust at 350 for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
6. In the Food Processor mix the Tofu Ricotta until creamy. Add in the Vegan Feta and Vegan Cream Cheese and continue to blend until creamy. Taste the mixture and season with Salt & Pepper.
7. Split the Cheese mixture evenly into two bowls. Add the Onions and Thyme to one bowl and the Dill and Parsley to the other. Mix the contents of each bowl well.
8. Fill the Seed Crusts with the Cheese mixture and refrigerate for about 1 hour or even overnight.